Holiday in Havana 1949 movie (Colombia pictures):

  This is a marvelous movie!

         I know that Desi himself didn’t talk much about this movie, and I guess I know the reason behind that! But first I would like to talk about the movie itself!

         I loved Elvis Presley's movies and watched and rewatched every single one of them, so you have to know I am talking from a fan point of view! if not a fanatic one to Elvis, I have a blog about him too!

         So, I after searching A GREAT deal for this movie "Holiday in Havana", I finally stumbled on it by chance after losing all hope that it actually existed! And you cannot imagine my deep surprise and delight on watching this movie! I found where Elvis got his moves!! It wasn’t the Jazz history or the black music that got him his Jumpsuit and dizzying rapid leg moves, it was Desi, it was simply like seeing Elvis when there was no Elvis yet!

Desi drumming by his dancing feet was a WOW moment, OMG!!! And I read all the time he CANNOT DANCE!!!!

Aside from Desi Dancing skills, which made ask myself why he did not do any dance number like that on "I love Lucy", it was like he was toning down his own talents to let her star! There are many unique things about this movie, which would also explain why it was lost in the history of movies!

         This movie shows Desi in a romantic lead, which had never happened before! and he was a great one, innocent, cute, manly and level headed except of course when he is dreamy about his love interest!

         One ironic thing though, his love interest was called Dolores and nicknamed Lolitta, just like his mother, whether this was intentional or by chance, it made me uneasy! Couldn’t they just choose another name for his first romantic lead!!

         Another thing that I think was the reason behind the intentional burying of this movie are the songs! Most of the songs were later repeated on "I love Lucy", except for "The Arnaz Jazz" which I think I haven’t heard it on the show, although I might be wrong!

         Those songs shows the viewers that indeed Ricky Ricardo was a very very successful bandleader before appearing as a struggling one on "I love Lucy" and that he could steal the show not she! He seemed in his right place and in control of his own talent and show, his voice was mature and matching that of a soprano! His music is lovely and engaging, and all the numbers seemed to be in their right place. His dancing and clothes were more Cuban and more relaxed, not to be dimmed by his wife!

         Finally we get to see him with a beautiful singer whose voice matches his in a romantic way, and the chemistry between them is marvelous!

         This movie is on par with Elvis's romantic comedies. Despite the low budget, low quality camera and black and white (by this time there were colored movies!), and despite being lost in history, never digitalized or reproduced as a DVD!!!!!


 


 

 

Comments